Read On! Donations

Different libraries have different views on receiving donated materials (everyone loves cash donations). Here at your Pryor Public Library, we are excited about them! They save us money and help supply our sales and free carts. 

Generally speaking, when you donate an item (book, DVD, etc), one of three things happens:

1. If it meets our selection criteria, we’ll add it to the collection. If it’s a title we already own, we’ll compare the two and keep the one in better condition. 
  2. If we aren’t adding it to the collection, but we think someone might spend a few cents on it, we’ll put it on our sale shelves. Paperbacks are $0.10, everything else is $0.25. (We make about $1,500 from our sale shelves each year, which is awesome!)
  3. If it’s not something we think someone will spend money on (it’s older, a textbook, a VHS tape, a Reader’s Digest Condensed book, etc.), we’ll put it on our free cart. Those items are for anyone who wants them. 

Occasionally, we’ll have to recycle or throw away donations. That usually happens if the items are dirty/moldy, have been outside long enough to attract insects, or are falling apart. (A good rule to follow about donating items: If you don’t want to touch it, we don’t want to touch it.)

We add just under 1,000 donated items every year, which saves us a considerable amount of money (I’d estimate $5,000 to $10,000 a year). We still have to process donations, which takes time and resources (and is the main reason some libraries decide to decline donated items), but we think it’s worth it. 

Sometimes, donations help us add entirely new services. Thanks to the generosity of Pryor’s FTW, we are able to loan video games for the first time ever! We only have Xbox 360 games right now, but should get more soon.

Your donations help a lot. Thank you for thinking of us!

Read On! Friends of the Library

Last week, the Friends of the Pryor Creek Library held their first fundraiser – a murder mystery party where each ticket holder was assigned a character and attended a party in honor of the fictional bed & breakfast, “The Harrison House.” Of course murder ensued and then the guests were tasked with solving the crime. (If you missed this year, they promise to do it again next year, so stay tuned!)

The Friends group has two primary goals: to support the Pryor Public Library and to support increased literacy in Pryor and Mayes County. The Friends group’s primary literacy initiative is enrolling Mayes County children under 5 years old to the Dolly Parton Imagination Library. This program sends age appropriate books through the mail to enrolled children at no cost. It’s a fantastic way to get good books into the homes of children. 

Each book is chosen with the child’s age in mind and the inside cover offers suggestions for ways parents and caregivers can interact with their child while reading the book. These suggestions help adults teach young children the vital early literacy skills they need so that they are ready to learn to read when they start school. 

When my children were younger, we enrolled them in the Imagination Library. I was pleasantly surprised by the selection of books. I was impressed to see familiar characters (like Llama Llama) and books that were recently published. It was a great program for our family and it seems to be just as beneficial to Mayes County families. In fact, as of this writing, we have 150 readers! 

While the program is free for the families enrolled, it does cost the Friends group $25 per child per year (which is an amazing bargain for 12 books). All of the money raised at the murder mystery party will support the Imagination Library program.

Read On! Summer Reading Wrap Up

We just wrapped up our most successful Summer Reading Program on record! I don’t have the numbers for every event we hosted, but when I compare the numbers I have to the same numbers from last year, we had a phenomenal Summer! 

Our Summer Reading Program has two parts: the reading part where kids & teens track the time they read and adults mark squares off our Bingo sheet and the class/event part where people can attend an event at the library. Comparing sign-ups for the reading part and attendance for the event part, we have seen a significant increase in participation this year. Thank you! 

We had 368 people register for and receive the various trackers for the reading part of Summer Reading. Exactly half of those registered are kids ages 5 – 11 who earned a free book for every five hours they read. Overall, our total registration increased by almost 12% over the registration from last year’s program. 

This year, we saw almost 20% more people attend our Summer Reading events than we had last year. In all, 1,212 people made it to the library for an adult, teen, or kid event! And that’s not counting the number of people who attend our Library Festival! (I don’t have those numbers yet.)

I’m so proud of how hard the Library staff worked to make this summer a success. I love watching their planning unfold and I love hearing the stories of the people who attend. This summer seemed to bring a lot of fun and excitement to everyone who joined us. Next year’s slogan for Summer Reading is “Imagine Your Story,” which will surely be as much fun as this year!

We take a break from programming in August, but join us in September for Storytime Classes every Wednesday at 10:30 AM; Teen Night the first Thursdays at 6:30 PM; and Adult Classes and Workshops the second Thursdays at 6:30 PM.

Read On! End of Summer Reading

Our Summer Reading Program is coming to a close this week. I did better on my Adult Summer Reading Bingo sheet this year than I did last year. I just missed a complete blackout, but I’m proud of the Bingos I earned. I will sheepishly admit that I didn’t attend enough Adult Summer Reading events to cross off both of those squares.

Overall, I had a great time working my way through the Bingo sheet and my kids enjoyed putting stickers on their sheets for every 30 minutes they read or listened to a book. One of the nice outcomes from the whole family participating in our Summer Reading Program was that my kids and I encouraged each other to accomplish the goals the program gave us.

You still have time to get your entries into our grand prize drawings and kids and teens still have time to claim their free books. Everything is due by 5:00 PM on Thursday, August 1st, right before our much anticipated Library Festival.

If you can make it to the library on Thursday, you won’t regret it. Our Library Festival will be an excellent event for the whole family from 6 – 8 PM. We’ll have food trucks, games, activities, prizes, and more! We’re even partnering with other City departments so everyone can explore our various emergency vehicles and the big trucks and equipment that keep our city running.

We’re also officially launching our new logo at the Library Festival, so be sure to look for the temporary tattoos and stickers featuring the new design. We’re beyond excited to finally start using this logo!

Don’t miss our Summer Reading Events this week!

Monday: Advanced DNA – Finding Your Origins II at 6:30 PM (for adults)

Tuesday: Beads! At 10:00 AM and 2:00 PM (for ages 5-11)

Wednesday: Storytime Class at 10:30 AM (for ages 0-4)

Thursday: Library Festival! 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM (for all ages!)