Read On! Career Affirmation

Working in libraries for almost 15 years, I’ve had my fair share of career-affirming experiences on the job. Libraries touch people’s lives in ways many other service industries don’t or can’t. Reading choices and information needs are inherently personal, so it’s easy to build bonds with the people who come through our doors. 

My most recent affirming moment was at our March Books & Brews Club meeting. I sat at the table with 15 other people, men and women, ranging in age from mid-thirties to mid-seventies with a homemade casserole, cookies, and other snacks inspired by the book we read (“Red White and Royal Blue” by Casey McQuiston) and realized that somehow our informal book club has become a community. 

We function almost like an extended family as we gather around food and beverages (both adult and not) to discuss books and movies and Life. The discussion of March’s book (a fun novel about a romance between the president’s son, Alex Claremont-Diaz and Prince Henry of Wales) was open and honest, but mostly filled with fun “Would You Rather” styled questions. We challenged each other, we teased, and we laughed. Boy, did we laugh!

It’s moments like that when I realize how powerful libraries are and how important building community is that I can breathe easy knowing I’m in the right profession. Getting to be part of a community like ours makes the rough parts of librarianship – navigating the excitement and uncertainty of staffing changes, arming people against fake news, grappling with building projects that far exceed the budget, etc. – worth the stress and exhaustion. 

If you want to check out our Books & Brews Club, we meet the first Saturday of the month from 1 – 3 pm at the Fat Toad Brewing Company. We’ll discuss “Killers of the Flower Moon” by David Grann in April.

Library Closed Until Further Notice

UPDATED 4/2/2020

Effective immediately, the Thomas J Harrison Pryor Public Library will be closed to the public until further notice, to help mitigate the spread of the novel coronavirus, COVID-19. You can see the most recent resolution passed by Pryor City Council here.

We are evaluating what services we can offer while our building is closed – keep an eye on our Facebook page for the latest details (and shenanigans, because even a pandemic can’t stop us from being… well, us!). 

While we’re closed, we encourage you to keep all items that are currently checked out. All due dates will be extended, and no late fees will accrue, and the fee limit has been raised to unblock most accounts. You can access ebooks, audiobooks, and streaming movies through the Oklahoma Virtual Library, as well as our other online resources – see them all on our website, www.pryorlibrary.org. If you don’t have a library card, we’ll be doing digital card signups. We’ll also be available to renew accounts, help walk you through using the Virtual Library, and for general reference questions at the contact info listed below!

As the situation continues to evolve, our plans and services may change. Check back often for updates!

How to reach us:

Facebook & facebook messenger: https://www.facebook.com/TJHPPL/
Phone: 918-825-0777
Email: admin@pryorlibrary.org

COVID-19 Update

The Library is carefully reviewing options related to the COVID-19 pandemic: things may change rapidly, so keep an eye on our website and social media for the most up-to-date information.

As of today, Monday, March 16th, the Library is open, but all Library-sponsored events have been canceled until further notice (Storytime, Teen Night, Adult Craft Nights, etc.) and we encourage you to stay home whenever possible.

However, if you must visit the Library, we ask the following:

– Practice social distancing. Try to stay at least 6 feet away from others

– Wash your hands! (Way more often than you think is necessary)

– Don’t linger in the Library. Now is not a good time to have meetings or tutoring sessions.

– If you are sick, STAY HOME! This protects everyone, especially those more vulnerable.

The never-ending stream of information on social media can be overwhelming! We recommend the following resources:

World Health Organization: https://www.who.int/emergen…/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019

Oklahoma State Department of Health: https://coronavirus.health.ok.gov/

Read On! Census

April 1, 2020 is “Census Day.” Soon, everyone will receive an invitation in the mail to complete the 2020 census. You’ll have three options to complete your census: through the mail, over the phone, or (for the first time ever) online. The Library plans to have extra computers available for anyone needing to fill out their census online. 

Mayor Lees asked me to be part of Pryor’s “Complete Count Committee,” a volunteer group of community members to promote the census. Before being involved with this group, I knew the census was a constitutional obligation (Article 1, Section 2), but I did not realize how important complete census data is at the local level.

Not only are our House representatives appointed using census data, $675 billion is distributed based on this information. In fact, they estimate that for each person NOT counted in the census, their community loses $1,600 per year for 10 years. That adds up to a lot!

Businesses use this information to determine where they will locate, some funding for schools and libraries relies on it, and the federal government uses it to allocate funds for disaster relief. Plus, census information is vital for genealogical research. 

I was relieved to learn that the census bureau does not share detailed information with any other governmental department. They don’t talk to HUD, they don’t talk to ICE, they don’t talk to the IRS. In fact, census workers are bound for life to keep that information confidential. 

Like many things in today’s society, there are some scams to be aware of. The census will never ask you for your social security number, your banking information, or your political affiliations. The staff here at the Library is always happy to answer any questions you might have and you can check out census.gov for more information.